Men sometimes have overly developed chests that are either a result of a medical condition such as gynecosmastia (swelling of the breast tissue) or from having gained weight or muscle in the chest area. Whether you need a bra for one those reasons or if you're seeking chest support while working out or for cross dressing, there are bra solutions available to meet your needs.
Finding Bras Designed for Men
Bras for men are often referred to as compression bras, compression vests, gynecomastia vests, or manssieres. Finding a bra to wear can be simple and hassle-free if you decide to shop online. There are several options to check out that may meet your needs without having to stress over shopping in person. Sites that offer bras designed for men include:
Underworks specializes in girdles and shapewear for both men and women. Garments on this site are sized according to chest size and include:
- Original Body Shirt - You can choose between black or white for this comfortable yet concealing body shirt. It comes in the following sizes: X-Small (29-33), Small (34-38), Medium (39-43), Large (44-48), X-Large (49-53), 2X (54-58), 3X (59-63), and 4X (64-68).
- MagiCotton Compression Tank - This Gynecomastia tank has a single layer of MagiCotton to flatten your chest and keep your tummy in check. It's available in white or black in sizes X-Small (28-31), Small (32-35), Medium (36-39), Large (40-43), X-Large (44-47), 2X (48-51) and 3X (52-55).
- Ultimate Chest Binder Tank- If you need extra coverage and support, this tank has double front compression and comes in beige, black or white. Sizes available include: X-Small (28-31), Small (32-35), Medium (36-39), Large (40-43), X-Large (44-47), 2X (48-51), 3X (51-55), and 4X (56-59).
- Microfiber Light Compression Tank - Made from soft microfiber, this tank will feel comfortable all day long. It comes in white, black, gray, green, or khaki, and in sizes X-Small (28-31), Small (32-35), Medium (36-39), Large (40-43), X-Large (44-47), 2X (48-51) and 3X (52-55).
Morris Designs features fine compression wear, shapewear, and compression garments designed specifically for men. Their products are available standard sizes XS, S, M, L, XL. Custom orders are also available.
Some products that you may like to check out include:
- Gynecomastia Vest - This vest will look invisible under clothing and has an adjustable hook and eye front closure as well as Velcro on the shoulders. It comes in white.
- Body Shaper for Men - This full body suit offers comprehensive support for various surgical procedures. It has a side zipper and open crotch for easy access so that you can comfortably wear it on a day-to-day basis.
Contour MD sells male compression garments designed to be worn after breast reduction surgery as well as for hiding excess breast tissue. One popular option to check out is the Male Compression Tank by Contour. This tank is manufactured from a breathable fabric and has a reinforced front panel and adjustable shoulder straps.
Sports Bra Options
Rather than purchasing a bra designed especially for men, you may find that a basic women's sports bra meets your needs. Just choose a size, in terms of circumference, that will adapt to fit a man's chest or torso. Consider the following retailers:
- Bare Necessities - This specialized lingerie store offers an array of plus size sports bras at mid-market price points.
- Kohl's - Providing both standard and plus size activewear options, this department store features sports bras in a variety of hues, shapes, and materials.
- Old Navy - Known for their high quality basics, this clothing store has a plus size workout range where you can find well-made yet reasonably priced sports bras.
- Macy's - This major department store has several plus size sports bra options by different designers. Their products are more focused on function rather than aesthetics.
Cross Dressing Bras
If you're looking to buy a bra for cross dressing purposes, consider opting for plus size bands that will likely be more suited to your frame. The following lingerie stores feature both simple and elaborate designs to satisfy every personal taste.
- Torrid - This plus size clothing store provides bras that are larger and can be worn by men. The Torrid Curve bra collection features 15 sexy styles in a range of hues for you to choose from.
- Frederick's of Hollywood - From cute and simplistic to sexy and seductive, this specialized lingerie store offers an array of beautiful bras in larger circumferences than the average lingerie retailer.
- Nordstrom - This major department store is a gold mine for plus size intimates. As well as offering a multitude of different bra options, they feature videos to help you find the perfect bra.
- Walmart - Easily accessible and affordable, this department store sells discounted plus size bras at good value for money. From basics to something more intimate, you can undoubtedly pick up some great bargains at Walmart.
Shopping for Men's Bras
With all the men's bra options available, there is no need to stress about finding one. Once you know your correct size and have your measurements in hand, you can shop just about anywhere. When getting sized for a bra, the most important measurements are the distances around your chest and ribcage. Most bras for men are designed according to chest size rather than cup size. Always check the sizing before placing an order so you can get the best fit possible and be comfortable in your new garment.