There should be essential man's wardrobe items in the closet of every man in order for him to look and feel good in any situation.
Choosing an Essential Man's Wardrobe
There are several basic items that are the foundation to any men's wardrobe and pieces that a man should never be without. By always having an essential man's wardrobe hanging in the closet, a guy will be able to have something appropriate to wear no matter what occasion may surface.
- The classic suit. Choose a suit in a basic, classic color such as black, navy or gray in a style that is fitted properly for you. A well-fitting suit can be worn for any occasion such as work meetings, weddings or funerals.
- A simple white dress shirt. A tailored white dress shirt can be worn in a variety of ways and will match almost anything.
- A solid-color tie is a versatile staple that goes great with a suit or a dress shirt. Always have a solid-color tie on hand and, if you like, another tie in a pattern.
- Sports coat or blazer in a classic color such as navy or tan can be worn for work or dress.
- Dress pants are appropriate when the attire does not require a suit. A solid color such as black can be worn with any color shirt and tie.
- Khaki pants work well for work, dress or play.
- Jeans are the classic American staple in any wardrobe.
- Cotton polo shirt or other casual type shirt looks great with jeans or khakis.
- Sweater in a classic style such as a V-neck can be worn in any season and will look great when paired with jeans, khakis or under a sports coat.
- Lounging outfit such as a tee shirt and shorts can be worn for athletics, running errands or hanging out at home.
- Men's foundation items such as boxers, briefs, tank tops and socks to go under all the other essentials.
- Other wardrobe essentials would include black and brown belts, and dress shoes and/or loafers in both black and brown to complete your outfit.
Shopping for the Essentials
Many men already have the basics hanging in their closet and may want to add some more essentials while others are just beginning to invest in classic wardrobe pieces. Either way, local department stores are a great place to find affordable men's fashions in a wide variety of styles. Stores such as Macy's or JC Penney both have large men's departments with a wide selection of fashions and frequently have sales. Storefront and online men's retailers who carry essential items include:
By keeping basic clothing items in your closet, you can add to and build around your wardrobe to create a style of your own that reflects your personality. Remember to keep the basics classic and avoid overly trendy pieces so that your wardrobe can remain the same for many seasons and not need to be replaced as fads come and go. Choose trendy items as your accents to give your wardrobe a fresh look. Keep in mind that it is important to always properly care for your clothing essentials so that they will look great and last a long time.