You see guys wearing bandanas all the time, and they look great. But if you're not sure about wearing one yourself, it's very easy to learn how to tie one. There are several options for tying one, so see what works best for you and your style needs.
Basics Steps for Tying a Bandana
To tie a bandana for basic wear on the head, follow these steps:
- First, make sure the bandana is head-ready by lying it on a table and folding it diagonally to make a triangle. Smooth the crease so that it is defined.
- Grip each end of the triangle in both hands, making sure that it does not slip (this is where that crease helps you).
- Set the bandana where you want it on your head. The optimal spot is in the middle of your forehead, but you may elect to wear it higher or lower, depending on your inclination.
- Tie the two ends of the bandana at the back of your head once, firmly (but not so tight that it constricts - remember, your head will swell in the heat). The ends will be dangling, which is good, because you are going to tie them again in a minute.
- Be sure that the top of the triangle lies roughly at the back of your head - it can be slightly higher or lower, but you want to have your whole crown covered. Now, you can either tuck that triangle top under the tied ends at the back of your head, or set it between them. When you are satisfied with its position, tie the ends again, securing the top of the triangle, and thus the whole bandana.
This way of wearing a bandana also offers head protection for anyone suffering from hair loss.
Tying a Bandana Headband
For a guy with longer hair that he wants to keep out of his face, or when working out, tying a bandana like a headband (such as what professional soccer players do) can be helpful.
- Begin as you would above, folding the bandana into a triangle.
- Continue folding it evenly, until you have a long, padded band.
- Lay the band over the top of your head with the tip of the triangle against your hair to prevent it coming loose.
- Tie the ends in a knot at the nape of the neck.
- To keep your hair from getting caught up in the knot, tip your head forward so that your hair is off your neck and then tie accordingly.
- Adjust as necessary for practicality and comfort.
If you want your bandana to have a hip-hop look, you can leave the ends of your bandana out on the front of the forehead after tying.
There are some men who like the look of a bandana worn around the neck, similar to a scarf. This is also known as a cowboy bandana. To tie one to wear around your neck, simply follow these steps:
- Fold a bandana into a triangle by folding it in half so that two of its opposing corners meet.
- Take the two opposite ends on the longest side of the triangle and place the longest side on your neck with the tip pointing down.
- Pull the opposite ends together and tie them into a knot behind your neck.
For this style, make sure it is not tied too tight. You will want the bandana to fit snugly around your neck and have an inch of spacing between it and your neck.
A Cool and Fun Accessory
Bandanas are a stylish accessory and serve a useful purpose as well. Use a bandana to keep you cool and absorb sweat in hot conditions and add a fun touch to whatever you are wearing. Try out all the options and see what you prefer.