Buying cheap dress pants doesn't mean you have to settle for pants that wrinkle at the touch, crease in all the wrong places, or fall apart after a few wears. You just have to know what to look for and where to shop.
Tips on Buying Cheap Dress Slacks
Just because you're paying a low price for the pants, that doesn't mean you have to settle for a pair of low-quality pants that won't last for more than a month or two. Keeping your eye on the sale papers and signing up for email notifications at your favorite menswear stores will help you save money on quality pants from brand names you already trust.
Choosing the cut that works best for your body will make cheap dress pants look more expensive. If they're flattering on the body and hang well, no one will guess right away that they didn't cost more. Slim men should stick to flat front pants while men who are heavier in the thigh area may wish to stick with pleats. Taller men look better with cuffed pants than shorter men do, but cuffs are necessary with pleats so that the pleats lie against the body as they should; the extra weight from the cuffs keeps them in place. Look for pants that have a lining. They'll be more comfortable, often more durable, and hang better on the body.
Check for loose strings, falling hems, rips, loose seams and other manufacturing defects that could make even paying a low price for the pants seem like too much. Look for tags that say "wrinkle-resistant" or "no-iron" so that you won't spend a lot of time trying to keep your inexpensive dress pants looking presentable. If you can't find a cheap pair that promises not to be high-maintenance in one store, keep looking for bargains elsewhere.
Where to Shop
- Overstock.com: When you're looking for a deal on anything, Overstock.com is a good place to check out first. You can find designer men's dress pants there for prices that range from $12.99 to $90.00. Another bonus is the fact that you can read customer reviews on some of the items, so you get the lowdown on how they fit, how they wear, how the material feels, and how they last over time without having to spend the money to find out for yourself.
- Kohl's.com: Kohl's is notorious for their amazing sales, their coupons, and their Kohl's Cash. You can easily walk out of there with a pair of pants that cost next to nothing if you have your timing right and your Kohl's Cash in hand. Be sure to check online for web exclusives and coupon codes as well. You'll find dress pants in several styles, including flat front, pleated, wrinkle-resistant, no-iron, classic fit, and modern fit.
- Jos. A. Bank: Here, you'll find good quality men's dress clothes. Normally, the prices may seem on the high end of the spectrum, not cheap. However, they tend to run sales that allow you get the higher quality dress pants for the same price as something not nearly as well-made somewhere else. While they may not be "cheap," they are inexpensive for the cut, fabric, and durability you're getting.
- Kmart.com: On a day-to-day basis, you'll probably find cheaper pants at Kmart than any of the other sites listed. You can expect to pay roughly $20.00 for a pair of dress pants there.
- Don't forget to check the papers for local department stores like JCPenney, Sears, or Belk. You could find an unexpectedly good deal. If you're just casually looking for nice pants but you're in absolutely no hurry and have no pressure to buy a pair, you could sign up for HauteLook and wait for a deep discount on designer dress pants.
Shop for Quality
Shopping for "cheap" men's dress pants doesn't mean you'll have to sacrifice quality for a deal. Set aside plenty of time to shop on foot and browse online so that you can compare deals without urgency. Don't wait until all of your dress pants are in need of replacements. If you can wait for deals, you're likely to save much more money on quality slacks that will look good with very little effort.